Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Red Circles and Tingling Tongue

12/15/2009

Question:

Since last week I`ve been having inflamation on my tongue skin (on the tip) but today I have a tingling disconfort and some red circles that look like burned skin. What can that be?. I have 31 years and I have gave birth to a baby 11 months ago. I had a Glall bladder extraction on August and I have Hypotyroidism. Thanks!

Answer:

Without actually examining these conditions, I can only surmise what is occurring.

For a more definitive and accurate diagnosis, you will need to see your Dentist or Primary Care Provider (PCP).

What you are describing sounds like “Benign Migratory Glossitis” or “Geographic Tongue,” at least by the location and description of red circles that look like the tissue is burned. The cause of this is still questioned, but some clinicians feel that it is the result of a tissue response to oral fungal species.

The descriptive term “Geographic tongue” refers to the fact that the margins of the lesion look like the coast line on a map. The lesion also change shape and appear as though the tissue is burned or de-nuded.  

The tingling may be the result of irritation, or associated with what is commonly known as burning mouth or tongue. This condition can be the result of Fungal/yeast carriage and or dry mouth, trauma, chemical exposure, stress, medications etc.

The diagnosis of Hypothyroidism is a bit concerning and based upon your concerns about tongue lesions and tingling sensation, merit that this to be evaluated. Are you receiving treatment for your Thyroid disorder? Are you on replacement therapy for low levels of thyroid hormone?

Some oral complications associated with Hypo Thyroidism include Macroglossia (Enlarged or Big tongue) and Dysgeusia (distorted taste), and periodontal disease.
If you are under care for your endocrine disorder, I would have your Physician check out these complaints.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine