Pulmonary Fibrosis

Iron Count

12/09/2009

Question:

My father was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis 5 years ago. Along with this he has had to have many blood and iron infusions. Currently his iron count is 4, but his hemoglobin has increased to 116. Is the iron count a direct effect from the Fibrosis? Because he had an iron infusion within the past month they want him to wait for another one. As my father has told me he was advised that there are many good things in his blood and that they will hold off another infusion for the time being. How safe is this

Answer:

Pulmonary fibrosis does not cause a low iron level. Low iron in the blood is a cause of iron deficiency anemia and is usually due to blood loss, often from the gastrointestinal tract. Anemia can worsen shortness of breath and fatigue in patients with pulmonary fibrosis, particularly if the blood oxygen levels are low.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine