Digestive Disorders

Gastroparesis

12/14/2009

Question:

I have been diagnoised with gastroparesis and am trying to control it with diet and Nexium (2x daily). 12 years ago I had a Highly Selective Vagotomy, which is believed to be the cause. I tried reglan and suffered side effects. The current issue is even with the Nexium and diet changes, I still have yellow tongue and it seems to be also affecting my sinuses. I get burning in my nose and fluid in my ear and sinus headaches and mucus in my throat. There is also the lump in my throat every few days. I am at a stand still with the doc as to why I still have these issues. I am miserable daily worrying there is "no cure" for me and I will do damage to my tongue and nose. Any suggestions? Thank you

Answer:

From your short explanation of symptoms, gastroparesis does not appear to be primary problem but likely is a contributing factor given your vagotomy. Reflux of stomach contents because stomach is not emptying may be the most logical explanation for your symptoms. Confirming reflux with a pH probe (probe that monitors acid in the esophagus) would be helpful and if present, consider surgical means to make opening between stomach and esophagus tighter.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine