Mouth Diseases

Lie Bump on Tongue

12/11/2009

Question:

I have a "lie bump" that has been on my tongue for months now and it is getting worse. today it is really swollen and is turning a dark almost black color. It also can wiggle around and under it is a really red spot on my tongue. Is this really serious because i dont have insurance to go to a dentist.

Answer:

A "lie bump" or transient lingual papillitis does not persist for months. As the formal name implies, they come and go quickly and usually do not even last a full week. What you describe sounds like a possible bump of tissue related to scar-like tissue and blood vessels in the tongue, maybe with some bruising (making the color darker). It does not sound serious, especially if it has not become progressively larger over the months you have noticed it. When you can afford to visit your dentist, though, I would advise a personal examination and evaluation of this bump to confirm my impression and give you peace of mind.

The links below have information about free or low cost medical and dental care for which you may qualify.

Free or Low Cost Health Coverage (Foundation for Health Coverage Education)
Medical and Dental Care without Insurance (US Department of Health and Human Resources)

Best wishes.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration