Gum Diseases

Periodontal Disease After Root Canal?

12/18/2009

Question:

Hi, I have had dental problems for 20 months.the right side of my face kept swelling but my doctor could not give me a reason. 2 months after a regular dental check-up i returned to my dentist who found an abscess after x-rays.He did a root canalin the right maxillary tooth and I was concerned that about 20 minutes after the first part all of the antibiotic dressing appearred to come out. I could feel it trickling down my throat and I had a foul taste for days. I had problems after the second part with twinges especially after lying down.I was concerned I had not had an antibiotic.My dentist said to leave it for 6 months and then for a year.This was a year ago and I recently had terrible stabbing pains in my right cheek and tooth during air travel.A recent x-ray at a dental hospital showed bone loss above where the tooth is and I was told I had periodondal disease.I am devastated as I have good dental hygiene. Do you think this could be caused by not having antibiotics. My gums are inflamed.I last saw my dentist 2 months ago for a scale and polish. Should he not have spotted this?They said they would write to my doctor but what can I do in the meantime.Thank you for your time.

Answer:

It sounds like you are dealing with a complex problem and you should be treated by a specialist and not a general dentist.  Please find a periodontist. If it is not a periodontal problem, he/she will know and will refer you to an endodontist.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology