Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Earlobe cyst

12/10/2009

Question:

I have a cyst in my right earlobe that was pierced about 2 months ago. I have been having injections put in the earlobe to reduce the cyst by my doctor but it seems to be very inflammed inside the hole. I have no infection but when I try to wear an earring in this ear it will throb the whole time its in. Also my gland in my neck will throb too. I have taken Tylenol w/codeine, 4 motrin and nothing helps to stop the throbbing. If I try to keep the earring out to make the inflammtion go away it tends to want to close up. i don`t know what else to do to stop the pain. Can you help with an answer? Thank you.

Answer:

Occasionally, just puncturing a cyst will not resolve the problem. In some instances, removing the entire cyst is necessary. An Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon is one appropriate physician for such an evaluation and management. Wearing an earring is definitely something to be avoided until this is completely resolved. Until the issue is fixed, its unlikely that pain meds alone would relieve the discomfort.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Daniel   Choo, MD Daniel Choo, MD
Associate Professor and Director, Division of Otology/Neurotology