Head and Neck Cancer

Lump on Base of Skull, Other Odd Sypmtoms

01/05/2010

Question:

I have been having an issue with a lump the size of the end of my finger on the left side of my neck right at the haire inle approx. 1 inch from the spine. the lump has been present for 8-10 months. It is very firm, painless, and does not move when touched. I also have at the same time had night sweats, which have produced a very unusual symptom. Where I lay, and the areas that sweat produce a pink color. If I wear a white colored shirt to bed, and I sweat, it will be very pink by morning. Also, the sheets have turned quite pink where I lay at night. To add to this, I also note that sweating during the day produces the same issue. I am currently unemployed, and have no insureance, thus no visist to an M.D. has occured. I am quite frighted by this enlarging lump, and the issues going with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Answer:

Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS

There is no doubt that a lump present for more than a few weeks should be evaluated by a physician. I am not sure what to make of your colored night sweat The location of the mass is not very suspicious but you still need to see a physician.

NetWellness Staff

The US Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Primary Health Care has a directory that will help you find a clinic that will give you medical, including dental care, even if you have no medical insurance or money.

Coverage For All.org also contains information about free medical care and programs in your area.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org