Mouth Diseases

Under Tongue

12/17/2009

Question:

Under my tongue I found some clear white tiny bumps riding up under my tongue to the bottom tip on both sides they come and go thru the months but have no clue what it is.my guess a infection has occurred and this is a response to my immune system it looks like a v upside down the clear lite white small bumps.I will add i have hsv maybe has a connection.

Answer:

Although I am guessing a bit, the V-shape you describe on the underside of the tongue sounds like the bilateral (that is, found on both sides of a line dividing the right and left halves of your tongue) arrangement for structures known as the fimbriated (finger-like) folds (also termed the plicae fimbriatae).

These are a normal, common finding in this region, and are more noticeable in some people and less in others. They require no treatment and are not related to your history of HSV. Hope this helps.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration