Dental Hygiene

White and Dark Gums

12/21/2009

Question:

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO FOR SOME WEIRD REASON, NO MATTER WHAT HE EATS OR DRINKS, THERE IS A FOUL SMELL COMING FROM HIS MOUTH. I ALSO NOTICED HE HAS STAINED TEETH AND HE IS VERY YOUNG, EARLY 20`S. HIS GUMS ALSO APPEAR TO BE PARTLY WHITE AND SOME PARTS DARK. I DO NOT KNOW ANY OF HIS DENTAL HISTORY. IT SEEMS THE SMELL JUST CANNOT GO AWAY. I CANt JUST TEL HIM WHAT I THINK, DO NOT WANT TO EMBARASS HIM. WHAT CAN IT BE AND HOW CAN I LET HIM KNOW??

Answer:

It is hard to guess what it may be.  Odors from the mouth are not always caused from problems with the teeth or gums; they can also be a result of some sort of stomach problem.  The color of teeth can vary greatly and likewise, the color of our gums can also vary from a light pink to a dark brown/black and still be considered healthy. An exam by a dentist would be needed to rule out any dental problems.

You could possibly ease into the subject by talking about your own dental health.  Your friend may just open-up and begin talking about his dental experiences. 

Good luck.  Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Susan   Bauchmoyer, RDH, EFDA,  MS Susan Bauchmoyer, RDH, EFDA, MS
Associate Professor – Clinical, Clinic Director