Women's Health

???

12/30/2009

Question:

i am a teen and i usually have a 5 day normal flow period. i had spotting for two weeks recently and ive had a light flow for almost two weeks now. ive also never been to a gynocologist. any answers?

Answer:

Great question, it is a bit hard to give you a definitive answer with the information that you have given me.

First, let me say that it is not unusual for someone in their early teens to have irregular menstrual periods. Often this is your body adjusting to the hormonal cycles that your body will establish. Since I do not know if this is your first several cycles or you have been having periods for a longer time (like a year or so) it is not easy to help.

I'd suggest that if your spotting doesn't stop in the next two weeks, it would be a good thing to visit your provider and have a full history taken and find a determination of the cause. All the best to you and thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Professor of Clinical Nursing