Eye and Vision Care

Black Spots Appearing in Right Eye

12/22/2009

Question:

I am a 24 year old person and a few days back i started having this problem with my right eye`s vision, i started seeing black spots, went to the doctor and he told me that its blood.please note that i am not a patient of diabetes or hyper tension.The doctor suggested a Laser operation for right eye.First i was given the date of 17th but he delayed it saying that blood still hasn`t settled and gave me these pills "Chymoral Forte(Trypsin/Chymotrypsin)" and eyes drops "Dofnac(Diclofenac sodium 0.1%).They also took some images of my eyes.  Please help me out here because i am still not satisfied and i want to get rid of this problem.

Looking forward to hear from you Thank you!

Answer:

I can't make a definitive diagnosis without examining you.

But from what you have told me, it sounds like you had a hemorrhage in your retina which bled into your vitreous (the large jelly-like structure in the middle of your eyeball). When blood becomes trapped in the vitreous, it can take several weeks for it to clear. That is why your laser procedure was postponed - the surgeon needs a clear view of the retina to properly seal the blood leak.

The major question is why this happened. It might be a retinal break or detachment, a blood condition like anemia, or perhaps an infection. Your eye doctor will want to co-manage you with your primary care doctor to find out why this unfortunate event occurred.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry