Lung diseases

Lung

01/25/2010

Question:

I have been told I have a dried up blood clot in right lung, but developed a mass on top of it. I dont know what kind of mass but I been so sick since 1998 on O2 24 hrs a day. its hard to breath and I develop many infections. now Dr. said E. Coli in Lungs can u tell me what this is in plain language not Dr. Talk as I wont understand Please help me thank u

Answer:

E. coli is a common bacteria that can cause infection in many patients. It is normally found in the intestines and gastrointestinal tract of healthy people without symptoms, but can cause infections such as pneumonia if found in the lungs, urinary tract infections if found in the bladder or kidneys, or blood stream infections if found in the blood. In most cases, E. coli infections are easily treated with commonly used antibiotics. In rare cases, the bacteria may not respond to commonly used antibiotics and different medications must be considered.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep