Athletic Training

Abs

12/30/2009

Question:

I am 47 years old and for the past 18 months have been doing weights and cardio 6 days a week. I do cardio one day and wieghts the next...I have dropped 6 inches off my waist and at certain angles I can see my 6 pack. I have a small amount of excess skin from where i lost the weight though..Is there any way to get the skin to draw up? Or ids surgery the only way?

Answer:

Congratulations on your exercise routine and the results you are seeing!

You do not mention how much weight was associated with your 6" drop in waist circumference. Typically, the skin has some elasticity, but long term added weight does diminish its capacity to rebound from the weight gain. 

I would advise continuing to work on the abdominal strengthening to strengthen the core musculature to see if over the next 6 months you see any additional improvement before seeking out other opinions as to best way to correct.  Good Luck and keep up the hard work!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences