Lung Damage After Minor Operation

01/05/2010

Question:

My father was recently operated on for a vein extension on his leg. After the operation he deteriorated rapidly and was placed on a B-Pap machine to assist breathing. After a few days he was unable to breathe on his own for more than a couple of minutes. Tests revealed no infection as such the problem being due to lung damage. He is 85 years old with no history of lung problems, he gave up smoking 40 years ago. His heart appears to be alright although he has had by pass surgery in the past- Mid 80`s . What do you see as a possible cause for this problem?

Answer:

Unfortunately this is a not a diagnostic services and I cannot respond directly to your question.

Lung complications after surgery are as common as cardiovascular complications. The factors that increase the risk of problems include age, the site of surgery (e.g. lung, abdomen surgery), smoking, previous lung disease, and poor general health.

I hope your father recovers.

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology