Eye and Vision Care

Low Vision

01/26/2010

Question:

Hello, Whenever I touch the bottom of both my eyes my vision gets much sharper and I can already see fine but it is much sharper when i slightly place two fingers on the bottom of both my eyes on objects near like my laptop or far like my TV. Does this mean i have an eye problem?

Answer:

This is a very interesting observation and one that I have not heard from any patients before. Here is what I believe may be going on. You may have a small refractive error (a small glasses prescription). This refractive error is causing a small amount of blur. By pressing on your eye, you may be changing the shape of your cornea (the clear front part of your eye) and thereby decreasing your refractive error. Of course, to prevent damage to your eye, I would not recommend this method to improve your vision.

Instead, I recommend that you visit your eye doctor. A pair of glasses or contact lenses may allow you to have this "sharper vision" all of the time!

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry