Women's Health

Urgent!! Hymen & Pregnancy

01/05/2010

Question:

I am a 21 year old virgin and my boyfriend and I had what you call "dry sex" where our genitalia rub against each other, yet both of us were wearing underwear. However, both of us were really wet. Is it possible for me to get pregnant, considering that there was no direct contact between his penis and my vagina, and also considering that my hymen hasn`t been broken yet?

Answer:

This is a great question. Pregnancy occurs when sperm travel up through the vagina to the uterus and then to the fallopian tubes where they come in contact with an egg, usually in the outer 1/3 of the fallopian tube. The woman usually ovulates once a month at about the middle of the menstrual cycle.

Not having the penis inserted into the vagina is not a guarantee that there will not be sperm deposited in the vagina during the situation you described. However, the probability of pregnancy is low. If this is a mutually acceptable method of love making for you both, I would suggest that your partner use a condom even if you are not having penetrating intercourse.

The hymen is a ring of tissue that has a hole in the center through which you menstruate. It has no function in preventing pregnancy. Virginity is not really determined by the presence or absence of a hymen, but rather if you have had intercourse yet. The hymen can often rupture without intercourse, especially in athletic women. So, to sum it up, pregnancy is possible but unlikely given the circumstances you've described.

Encourage your partner to use a condom to be very safe. I would also encourage you to see a provider to discuss birth control and the best options for you before you begin to have intercourse. I bet many questions can be answered for you. All the best.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Professor of Clinical Nursing