Asthma

Large Amount of Phlegm, Redness, and Rashes

03/16/2010

Question:

I have been suffering from asthma most of my life. Over the past three years I started experiencing excessive ulcers on my tonsils, hacking cough with white mucus after exercise, and become red itchy after exercise. If I do not run a hard 2 miles a week the symptoms worsen upon continuation. Is there possibly an underlying problem?? I consulted the doctor and he said the ulcers could be from the inhaler, to take the inhaler before exercise, and I have heat rash.

Answer:

Your symptoms may be related to many potential issues. Certainly the ulcers on the back of the mouth could be related to your inhaler but it depends on what kind of inhaler you are using. The cough and mucus could be related to exercise-induced asthma. Exercise can cause rash and hives in some cases. I would recommend being seen by an asthma specialist to further investigate these issues.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep