Addiction and Substance Abuse

How long do you think he`ll live????

01/21/2010

Question:

I`ll cut to the chase, I`ve been horrible concerned with my 16 year old cousin who`s been snorting adderall for 3 years. He usually goes threw an entire bottle of Adderall xr30 in as little as 2 weeks, how long do you think he`ll live? (NOTE:) He`s so far into this that he`s been in a minor psycosis for a year now and I dont want to freak him out with abunch of cops and doctors, so could you give me an honest to god opinion as to if he`s gonna live long or not.

P.S. He`s only 5 4" and 110 pounds now and he`s sick everyday, his skin even turns dark dark red and smells terrible but he says it only happens when his arms and legs turn that darkish red color.

Answer:

Your question is a tough one. No one has a crystal ball, so we can't really answer your question about how long your cousin will live. I think the most important thing is that he gets medical attention. I wouldn't worry so much about the cops and doctors and would worry more about his physical safety.

Best wishes.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry