Women's Health

Sensitive Nipple

01/05/2010

Question:

My left nipple feels raw all the time. I have to wear a bra all the time to keep my shirt from rubbing it. I`ve seen several Drs.and they say it could be hormones. I`ve been on hormone replacement therapy for over 10 yrs., had regular mammograms. Can`t get any answers. This has been going on for several years. Thank you. Hope you can give me some insight.

Answer:

This is an interesting question. It certainly could be hormone sensitivity although it would be unusual for it to be only on one side.

Have you had the nipple looked at for any rashes or small cracks? They may only be visible with a magnifying glass or with a black light. Sometimes a stubborn fungus can be the culprit and that is usually easily treatable.

In addition, I would look at the type of bra that you are wearing. It is normal to have one breast larger than the other and if your bra is OK for one side, it may be too small for the other side and cause some irritation or even a mild allergic reaction to detergent or softener on one side because it rubs more. Hope this helps and thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Associate Professor, Nursing Graduate Studies