Eye and Vision Care

How to Help Heal 5 mos. Old Head Trauma

01/12/2010

Question:

I had a heavy painting crash on the left/mid to back side of my head 5 mos. ago. I have headaches everyday behind my left eye and problems focusing when reading - an eye specialist said I have damage to my superior oblique muscle, probably from the nerve attached gettting concussed. Am I better off continuing to read, putting more pressure on my eye, but using it more? Or should I stop reading when I start to feel symptoms. What is better for healing? Is there any therapy you suggest? Thank you for your help, I am at a loss what to do.

Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. If an eye doctor diagnosed you with a superior oblique palsy, it is not completely surprising following head trauma. The fourth cranial nerve (CN IV) is responsible for the superior oblique muscle, and it is the most susceptible to damage from trauma.

Are you getting headaches only after you read for sometime or is it a constant problem?  If you are only getting these symptoms after reading for a period of time, either vertical prism in a pair of glasses or vision therapy may be advantageous to helping you alleviate your symptoms. I would suggest having an appointment with an eye doctor who specializes in binocular vision disorders and vision therapy.

I hope that you find something that will help.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry