Women's Health

Fluctuating TSH Level

01/12/2010

Question:

Hi, I m 29 yrs old, married for 1.5 yrs. Since last 9 months, i am on thyronorm tab (25mg-50mg alternate days). Before a year, my TSH was 6.18, then after 3 mnts it came down to 4.2, then again after 3 mnths down to 2.4, now again after 3 mnths, it has gone up to 5.58. What could be the cause of increased TSH? My weight hasn`t fluctuated. I m taking tablet - Zevit after noon meal and Ferrium tab after dinner. Will i face problems to concieve because of fluctuating TSH?

Answer:

TSH is measured to determine if you are taking enough thyroid hormone. TSH is elevated if you are not taking enough thyroid hormone. However, it is rarely exactly the same on different days.

You should check with your doctor to see if your levels are in the normal range. When TSH is in the normal range, your chances of getting pregnant are normal.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology