Lung diseases

Could it be lung cancer?

01/19/2010

Question:

My father developed pneumonia last year, and was given antibiotics to clear it up. He never improved, and was later diagnosed with pulmonary lung disease. He was then told that he has asthma, and is now taking 3 different puffers each day. He went in for an xray, and they found a large grey mass which consumed 3/4 of his lung. He has gone back for more xrays, and also an MRI. They continue to test him, but give him no answers to the results of these tests. He is now scheduled in for day surgery, so they can stick a needle in his lung to get a sample of this mass. They are not telling him anything, and he`s worried that it might be cancer. He has difficulty breathing, and cannot handle more than 5 minutes of physical activity. Any task has become very difficult for him, as he has a hard time catching his breath. Is there any possibility that this could be cancerous, or could it just be that the pneumonia never cleared up completely?

Answer:

If they see a mass, it could be cancer.  I agree that it is important to get a biopsy to figure out what it is.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery