Gynecology

Chlamydia

01/20/2010

Question:

I was recently told that I tested positive for Clymidia. I have been with the same sexual partner for 5 1/2years. He did admit that he did cheated on me recently. He went to the doctors & they told him that it doesnt look like he has the STD but the doc said he was going to treat him as if he had it. A few days later his test results came back negative. The last time I was with another person was 5 1/2years ago. I have been tested a few times since then & nothing. How can this happen?

Answer:

There are many possibilities. Every test has a small percentage of false positive and false negative results. You could have had a false positive OR he could have had a false negative test. Given the fact that you tested positive and he admitted to cheating, I would consider your test a true positive and be tested.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education