Abscess After a Crown

01/14/2010

Question:

Five weeks ago I had 1 of my molar`s crowned bec it had an old/large filling in it that cracked. At the time of the crown prep (and the weeks before) I was not feeling any pain. My x-ray showed that my root was fine as well. The first week of my temporary crown my tooth was SO sensative, I went back and they `adjusted` it. That did give me a lot of relief yet the tooth was still sensative and I was unable to chew on that side for the next few weeks. I now have the permanent crown (week and 1/2) and had to go back bec of `throbbing` tooth ache. Now I am told I have an abcess and need a root canal. Is it possible that all of the trauma during the temporary crown caused the toothe to abcess??

Answer:

A temporary crown itself does not cause tooth infection and the need for root canal treatment. The nerves in our teeth are damaged every time there is an insult to the tooth.

It sounds like your tooth originally needed a filling (usually due to caries or a cavity which is an insult to the tooth). Then it sounds like the filling and/or part of your tooth cracked (which is another insult to your tooth). Having to prepare your tooth for the crown, which is necessary if a crack is involved, can further insult your tooth. After much insult, tooth nerves can eventually succumb and a root canal may be necessary.

The process from fillings to crowns to a need for root canal therapy is a common process occurring with many people over the lifetime of using their teeth.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics