Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

The Treatment Doesn`t Match the Cause

01/25/2010

Question:

I am a 63 year old male who has been battling ED for about two years. I am on three high blood pressure medications and more recently three cholesteral medications and a gout medication; so I have cause to worry about heart disease; although, so far as i know, I don`t have it. Viagra works relatively well for me. I understand that viagra works by interfering with the absorbtion of a protein that the body secrets to end erections. This doesn`t sound like it has anything to do with heart disease. So why does viagra work most of the time if it doesn`t address what I gather is the most common underlying cause. Am I to assume that 63 year old men without heart disease are as sexually capable as 40 year old men or are there other causes of ED associated with aging?

Thank you.

Answer:

You have a broad question with the answer so broad that can not be addressed in this format. However, heart disease and erectile dysfunction have few things in common:

1-coronary arteries are larger than penile arteries and hence the first sign of coronary artery disease could be erectile dysfunction.

2-If you already have heart disease you should make sure sexual activity is not increasing the risk of cardiac compromise.

3-Medications used for coronary artery disease are not safe to be combined with Viagra.

Yes, a man at age 63 can be as sexually active as a 40 year old provided his erectile organ and the rest of parasexual organs which includes brain, spinal cord and target organs, are not affected by poor circulation, hormonal imbalance, aging tissues of erectile organ and a host of other element such as drugs, sexual partner's acceptance and psychological discourse. Enjoy your sexual life as long as it is enjoyable, not for the sake of proving yourself to yourself and or to your sexual partner.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery