Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Front Tooth Injury

01/14/2010

Question:

My daughter (12) fell a week before christmas on her mouth. Her lip swelled up and there was blood at the top of her front tooth. Gave her paracetmaol and cold compress. Next morning although a little sore, she said it was ok. It wasn`t loose and wasn`t causing any real pain. After christmas howexer she complained of feeling sensitive to cold things and I`d noticed her right tooth slightly discoloured. Took her the dentist on new years eve who said it wasn`t really conclusive but he would see her on Monday to possibly start RCT. On Monday he again said it was inconclusive and he would prefer to send her to a specilist in this treatment. saying he has only done a few and they are doing it all the time. He said it would be 3-4 weeks. Worried about leaving this lenghth of time and especially as the tooth had gone grey and now the other tooth greying I contacted the dentist again who has said to attend this friday to start RCT. I`m worried that this dentist is not competent or confident in doing it. I have asked for a senior dentist to discuss the notes on her and he has said he is happy for him to do it. My daughter is first worried about the treatment but also because he has instilled a lack of confidence that he can do it.

Answer:

It is always a good idea to get a second or even third opinion of a prescribed treatment if you have questions. Pediatric dentists are specially trained to deal with injuries to children's teeth. The pediatric dentist can diagnose this injury and either complete the root canal, if needed, or refer you to an endodontist. Endodontists specialize in root canal treatments.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry