Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Missing Two Teeth?

01/19/2010

Question:

my son is two years old. he has all of his teeth except for the two teeth. hes missing the two teeth that are next to the bottom two middle teeth. is this normal? everyone tells me not to panic, but i cant help it at all. he didnt get his first teeth until hes was almost 12months.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Babies erupt their first teeth over a broad range of time beginning as early as several months and as late as one year. However, teething usually begins between 6 and 8 months of age and continues periodically until a child is about 30 months old. The 20 primary or “baby” teeth include 8 incisors, 4 canines, and 8 molars.

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommend that babies have their first dental exam by 12 months of age to establish a "dental home" for the baby. This is a good time to ask questions about upcoming oral health issues, (including timing of tooth eruption) rule out problems, and to enable your child to establish a positive relationship with the dentist.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry