Mouth Diseases

I Have Had a Blister on the Roof of My Mouth

01/21/2010

Question:

the blister on the roof of my mouth has been there for a couple of weeks I pop it but it seems to come back what do you think is causing it?

Answer:

There is a couple of things that may be occurring and without seeing you and examining your complaint, I can only guess what might be the problem.

The roof of the mouth or palate has multiple minor salivary glands within it. These are scattered throughout the mouth and are also located on the palate. Sometimes the glands can become blocked due to trauma or infection. When this occurs a back up of saliva results due to the blockage and a “blister” or mucocele forms. Generally, the blister will rupture and not reoccur, but as long as there is an impedance to flow, they can reoccur.

Secondly, this may be a parulus or gum boil. These occur because of an infection within a tooth, and an abscess develops. With time, the abscess expands and channels through the palatal bone in order to drain. These can appear as a “white or yellow blister” and again will rupture and reform until more definitive treatment is performed (extraction or root canal therapy of the infected tooth).

Another possibility is a “pizza burn” or thermal or chemical trauma to the tissue, these generally resolve and do not re blister.

This would also be the case in HSV infections (Herpes Simplex) a blister forms and almost immediately ruptures but blistering does not reoccur immediately after rupture, ulceration occurs followed by healing. In HSV infections, multiple lesions can occur giving the impression of reoccurrence.

Finally there are a group of epithelial blistering diseases that can occur and would require your primary care provider or dentist to identify. These are fairly rare, and generally occur on other sites of the oral cavity and other mucosal areas.  

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine