Women's Health

Avoiding First Time Pain in Intercourse

01/22/2010

Question:

Can I get this anesthetic in order for my husband to stretch me, as we`ve been trying to have intercourse but because i`m a virgin it`s terribly painful. I recently consulted with my gynacologist and she said I`m too narrow inside. In our conversation she mentioned that someone put an anasthetic on his wife for him to have unpainful intercourse for the first time. Can I do the same? And can they inject me then my husband takes me home?

Answer:

Having sex for the first time can be uncomfortable or even somewhat painful, as tissues at the opening of the vagina can be stretched or even torn when the penis enters.  However, the vagina is distensible, and as the tissue stretches to accommodate the penis, pain should not continue.  Use of a lubricant may help to reduce friction or chafing.

When there is severe or persistent pain associated with attempts at penile entry, there may be a different problem causing the pain.  Some examples would be an infection, inflammation of the vulva, or an involuntary spasm of the vaginal muscles called vaginismus.  Although a topical anesthetic may be used along with treatment for one of these problems (and it can be applied as a gel or ointment, not a shot), it is important to first rule out a more serious problem.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology