Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary Disorders




I had a ct scan and they found air in my bladder. Should I worry?


Air in the bladder may occur with fistula (connection between the bladder and an adjacent organ which normally contains air such as the vagina or bowel) or air introduced into the bladder by insertion of an instrument (cystoscopy, catheter) or bladder infection with gas forming bacteria (most common in diabetic). These usually cause symptoms.

If you have no recollection of catheter insertion, then you should see a urologist who would perform urinalysis and possibly physical exam in addition to a careful history to determine the cause and further evaluation and/or treatment if indicated. I hope this helps.

For more information:

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati