Digestive Disorders

Alcohol Liver Disease

03/04/2010

Question:

I had blood work done, results; high enzyme count from my liver. 2 weeks later I had an ultrasound, my doctor`s office called for me to come in earlier than planned. My liver is 16.6 cm and my doctor wants me to get a CT scan, a chest x-ray and go to a specialist. She is diagnosing me as alcohol liver disease but is this the start of cirros of the liver? (There was also granuloma on the spleen)I have quit drinking and am taking B-1 and B-12, but am scared about what is really going on.

Answer:

The best thing you can do to help your liver recover is to stop drinking alcohol. The liver is quite forgiving and after 3-6 months of not drinking, the liver tests often can improve. It's possible that if you continue to drink alcohol, you may progress to cirrhosis of the liver. I don't have enough details about your laboratory tests to tell you more, but the specialist will be able to answer this question more when you see them.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine