Pulmonary Fibrosis

High Blood Pressure with Severe Dizziness

01/28/2010

Question:

my husband has Pulmonary fibrosis ID. The Dr. game him a life span of living one to two years andhe is in the second year. Yesterday he was severly dizzy and unable to walk or sit up and his blood pressure was 167 over 113 for several hours. It finally went down last night to 140 over 80. Is this part of the disease? He had no swelling of the legs or ankles. Thank you. My husband is 79 years old and they think he has had for four years already

Answer:

Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis does not usually cause high blood pressure, but high blood pressure can occur due to medications that are sometimes used in patients with pulmonary fibrosis (such as prednisone) and can occur due to low blood oxygen levels. It is important to treat high blood pressure because it can cause fluid to back up in the lung (pulmonary edema) that can make shortness of breath worsen.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine