Mouth Diseases

Lump Under My Tongue

01/31/2010

Question:

i have had a lump under my tongue for a few days now , i thought it was where my small denture had rubbed a little , its now hard and very painful , the last hour my tongue has become very sore on the sides , the lump looks like an ulcer , but i have a weird tingling in my tongue , do you know what it could be ?

Answer:

There are a number of possibilities that could be causing your symptoms. “Lumps” under the tongue or occurring on the floor of the mouth may be related to blocked salivary glands, swollen lymph nodes, denture trauma (irritation of soft and or hard tissues), gum infection (periodontal infection) - just to list a few. I would strongly suggest that you have this evaluated by your dentist or primary care provider. 

There are also site-specific problems that can occur that may require additional evaluation, and without examining you I can only assume what may be happening. The tingling of the tongue and progression to ulceration may be related to the partial cutting into the gum tissue and you rubbing the site with your tongue. But there may be other problems going on (infection, bacterial or viral) that may be associated with the additional symptoms you have described. 

Generally, the bilateral soreness of the tongue that you describe is related to a curious over-active tongue, but I would definitely have this evaluated if not to relieve the problems associated with the partial denture.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine