Depression

Depression or Borderline

02/02/2010

Question:

For the past two-three years I have had bouts of depression and anxiety. I don`t know what to do or how to inform someone I need help.

I also have had borderline like symptoms for the past two years. I have experienced low self-esteem, obsession (clinging to one friend until I lose them or hate them), irritability, depression, food binges, anxiety and extreme jealousy/relationship problems along with paranoia. I also decide whether someone is a good person or a bad one just by looking at them and this causes me to have an extreme animosity towards certain people without ever speaking to them. I tend to get really irritable and love conflict I enjoy upsetting people. This is all really hard to explain. I am trying to simplify my description.

Mainly though I want help in informing someone of my feelings so I can receive help for my symptoms. They are starting to effect me daily and seem to be getting progressively worse, yet few have noticed any changes.

Answer:

The best answer for the troubling symptoms you describe is a carefully chosen course of psychotherapy. The therapy should help you first understand these complicated feelings and behaviors and then help you communicate with those you care about so they too can understand you. Then you may learn how to change your behaviors so you don't undermine your best intentions.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program