Women's Health

Bleeding After Intercourse

02/02/2010

Question:

I had a baby 5 months ago and I am breastfeeding. My husband and I are having unprotected sex. I bleed after intercourse only if he ejaculates in me. I usually spot for a day or two afterwards but only if he ejaculates in me. I had a regular period for the first 3 months after childbirth. I did however miss the last 2. I have taken 5 pregnancy tests but they have all come back negative. I read that due to breastfeeding menstruation can be irregular or even absent. Why would I have a regular cycle in the beginning but not now? Why do I only bleed when he ejaculates inside of me?

Answer:

Breastfeeding has many benefits for the baby and mother.  One benefit for the mother is that breastfeeding tends to suppress ovulation, which is stopping the ovary from producing an egg cell, so that she will not become pregnant again immediately.  A consequence of this, though, is that lactating women may have lower estrogen levels than usual.  This may contribute to irregular or absent bleeding, and also causes vaginal dryness or thinning of the tissue.  Vaginal tissue that is thin or dry may bleed more easily with friction or intercourse.

I cannot say that ejaculation itself would be a trigger for bleeding, but speaking with your doctor and having an exam might shed some further light.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology