Saturday, August 27, 2016
Why Do I Feel Body Pain & Sleepy in Daytime
Why do I feel body pain and sleepy in day time (in working hours)and I am not able to concentrate on my work? Kindly give me some suggestions.
Daytime sleepiness is unfortunately a common complaint in today's society. Sleepiness is most commonly associated with insufficient sleep. This can be due to simply not sleeping enough hours, fragmented sleep, shift work, or sleep disorders. People typically need 7-9 hours of sleep per day. Many things can fragment sleep, night time pain, respiratory or cardiac diseases, or medications. Alternatively many medications can cause daytime sleepiness itself as a side effect.
- Some tips to improve sleep quality are as follows:
- Keep room cool, dark and quiet
- Try to wake the same time every day
- Establish a sleep routine to "set the tone for sleep"
- Avoid big meals before bed, but also avoid going to bed hungry
- Set aside "worry time" earlier in the evening and keep a list of tasks for the next day
- Avoid keeping a television in the bedroom
Sleep deprivation, however does not typically cause pain. Pain is however more difficult to tolerate when sleep deprived. I would recommend that you further discuss your symptoms with your primary care doctor. A full medical history and physical is needed to ensure that a medical disorder is not the cause of your symptoms. Further testing, including blood tests, and possibly a sleep study may be required based on your detailed history. Good luck!
Aneesa M Das, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University