Women's Health

Very Light Period

02/04/2010

Question:

I used to menstrate 3 to 4 days before but now for about 5 month now I only menstrate for 1 and a half day. Please is this normal?

Answer:

Many women do not have clock-work-like menstrual periods. This can be due to a variety of reasons, including hyperplasia (where the lining of the uterus gets a little thicker then normal), uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus that can cause irregular bleeding), uterine polyps (also a type of begin tumor-like structure), miscarriages, thyroid problems, excessive weight gain or weight loss, withdrawal of hormonal contraception, and uterine cancer. Additionally, the menstrual cycle can change a bit with increasing age, stress levels, and if you are around other females.

Further information can be found at Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (American Academy of Family Physicians). Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
Professor Emeritus