COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Emphysema Stage1 Beginning

02/02/2010

Question:

The doctor told me that i have emphysema in the beginning stage. I want to know can that be cured - I have also stopped smoking about a week ago.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. Smoking cessation is the most important treatment for people with COPD or emphysema. This is because smoking continues to cause damage to the lungs and causes damage to other organs. This can lead to heart disease, cancer, or a stroke.  

As we age, we all lose some lung function over time. Smoking greatly accelerates the loss of lung function. With smoking cessation, the loss of lung function returns to what is normal with the aging process.

There are currently no medications that can cure emphysema. Therefore, your lungs cannot regenerate or fully recover from the damage that has been done, but you can greatly improve your health and well-being by quitting cigarettes.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep