NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Friday, March 27, 2015
Healthy Weight Center
How Can a Thirteen Year Old Lose Weight?
I`m 13 and way overweight. I weigh 183.7 pounds. I need to lose some weight but I don`t know exactly which diet to use. How can I lose weight to be healthy and physicaly fit?
First of all, you should be proud of yourself for taking the first step towards a healthy lifestyle. It isn't always an easy thing to do. The best way to get to a healthy weight is to follow a balanced diet and watch your portion sizes, but check in with your doctor first. Your doctor will be able to guide you and your parents on your weight and health, and guide any treatment plan. Here are some more tips:
1. Try to eat food that was made at your house as much as possible. Food from restaurants and fast food places can have a lot of calories which can lead to weight gain.
2. Eat at least 3 different food groups at every meal and stick to the recommended portion sizes. You can find much more information about the food groups and portion sizes on the ChooseMyPlate site which has a lot of great information.
3. Avoid sweetened drinks like soda and Gatorade. Instead drink water or low fat milk when you are thirsty.
4. Try to get about 30 minutes of physical activity each day. You can try playing outside with your friends, playing a sport at school, or just going for a walk with a family member.
5. Talk to your mom or dad about some recipes you can make together at home. This site has some great ideas to get you started.
Finally, I would strongly recommend you find someone to support you (either a friend or family member). If you follow these tips I am confident you will start losing weight.
I wish you the best!
Ihuoma U Eneli, MD
Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
Medical Director of the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University