Women's Health

Late and Short Period Unprotected Sex

02/05/2010

Question:

Hello,

My last period was December 27, 2009. My boyfriend and I had sex on the 26th and then again on the 3rd and 4th of January. Everytime it was unprotected. I don`t think he came when we did it on the 26th, but I know he did a couple of times on the 3rd and 4th, but they were always outside of my vagina. My period normally comes every 27-28 days and last about four or five days and is very heavy for the majority of the time that I am on. That means that this period would have been due on January 22 or 23, but it did not come until January 31. When it came my bleeding was light unlike it normally is on the first and second day especially and I had very painful cramps. By the end of the first day there wasn`t really any blood coming out when I would go to pee and my pad would have blood, but not a lot like it normally does. I see little stringy red clots and sometimes I get a red and brown color. Also, a few days before my period was scheduled to start I noticed that my Montgomery glands were really prominent and they have never been that way, I had been having headaches, using the bathroom often, and it`s always a task for me to get out of the bed in the morning and I can`t wait to get back in at night. I took a HPT the day that my period was late and I got a negative, but I have not tested since then. Any ideas, anybody ever gone through anything like this, or know anyone who has? Anything will help. :-)

Answer:

You should repeat the pregnancy test two weeks after the initial negative test to make sure that you are not pregnant.  If you are having pain with urination, you should be evaluated for a urinary tract infection.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology