COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Emphysema

02/18/2010

Question:

Hi there im am just wondering my best mate has just been told at the age of 34 the she has emphysema quite bad in both her lungs, im just wondering is there anything that can be done about this to give her a better life and more time, how long would she have to live? as she wasnt given any time please help me as this is very upsetting and hurt full to hear about and know and i seen my grandad die from it at the age of 67 but my mate is only 34 why?

Answer:

Without knowing more specifics about your mate's pulmonary function parameters, and her functional capacity, activity level and the degree of shortness of breath it would be hard for us to tell you what options or how long she has to live. However, you can encourage her to see a pulmonary specialist to assure that she is on the right medical management. There are also surgical options available to some patients with emphysema, as well as pulmonary rehabilitation to manage symptoms.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine