Head and Neck Cancer

Large Knot On Top Of Head

02/08/2010

Question:

I have a large know on the top front of my head in the center just behind the hairline, it is in the shape of an elongated oval. On occasion there is swelling there. Due to the thickness of my hair it is not easily seen, however you can run your hand over it and feel it quite easily, I have had an MRI scan done and was told there is nothing there, you can feel the knot with your hand, but it isn`t visible on the MRI. However, it is swelling quite frequently now, and it will stay that way for a few days then goes back to just being a hard knot, no swelling, it does not hurt, but when it swells it makes me feel light-headed.

Answer:

There is obviously some type of lesion there. It is very unlikely to be something serious. I would go back to see the physician. This will most likely need to be excised.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery