Prostate Cancer

Prostate

02/09/2010

Question:

In 2005 according to Ultrasound Kub, my prostate measures were 3.9 x 3.5 x 3.9 cm and weight 28 grams; in 2007 it weighed about 38 grams, and in December 2009 it was about 27 grams with almost the mentioned measures. I have two questions: 1) Is it possible that an enlarged prostate shrinks on its own as I didn`t take any medicine? 2) My only problem is frequent urination in the night. The doctor asked me to do PSA test which the result was 1.91 and has advised me 40 Tabs Genurin Forte 200mg for 20 days. Do I need to take the medicine? Should I be worried about the enlargement of my prostate? I am a man of 64 ys. Thanks.

Answer:

The measurements of the prostate may be inaccurate. The prostate generally does not shrink without some intervention except if there is an acute inflammation or infection that resolves etc. There are medications that can cause the prostate to shrink and other medications that relax the prostate and bladder neck making it easier to urinate. It would be best for you to discuss these issues with your personal physician or urologist.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology