Eye and Vision Care

Irregular Tiny Lump on My Eyeball

02/05/2010

Question:

Hi, yesterday evening, I was looking into a magnifying mirror and noticed what I thought was see-through loose slime / eye crud on my eye ball, oin the white part. I tried to remove it, and found out it is actually a part of my eye ball, or eye ball surface! Today, it is still there.

So, I have like irregularity on my eye ball. It is not round, more like irregular, tiny oblong. It is definitely part of my eye ball surface. When I blink or look far into left, it wrinkles and "gathers" into the corner of my eye, between the lids.

It is disgusting and although it is small, to me it is frightening. Is it normal?

My eyes are not red, nor is there any discharge.

PLEASE put my mind into rest!

Answer:

See your eye doctor. The most likely diagnosis is a pinguecula, which is a harmless thickening of the outer white coat of the eye in sun-exposed areas (i.e., at 3 and 9 o'clock but never under the eyelid at 12 or 6 o'clock).  But it could also be a small embedded foreign body, a calcium or cholesterol deposit, or possibly an early cancer.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry