Women's Health

Single Ovary Folded in Half

02/09/2010

Question:

I only have my right ovary and the doctors have discovered that not only is it floating around in my body, but it is folded in half. this is very painful and I cannot find any information on it. Can you help?

Answer:

The ovary is the female gonad, or organ that makes reproductive cells and hormones.  It gets its blood supply from the ovarian artery that courses along the side of the pelvis. It is attached on this side by a ligament called the "infundibulopelvic ligament".  It is also attached to the uterus by an utero-ovarian ligament.  So it is pretty fixed in its location in the pelvis.

Sometimes a doctor might try to describe how a structure looks on an ultrasound or particular image of the body, and winds up causing more confusion than he intended.  I am not sure what your doctor was referring to.  However, it is impossible for the ovary to be "floating" or "folded". 

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology