Mepivicaine

02/23/2010

Question:

I am due to have the upper front tooth and next to it one extracted because previous root canal treatment has made them weak and they can no longer be filled as there is nothing to hold the filling in and they are slightly loose now in the gum! Is mepvicaine safe as my dentist is talking about using this local anaesthetic?

Answer:

Mepivicaine is a standard dental local anesthetic used for both dental surgery and extractions. It is fine for an upper tooth extraction. Usually, this drug does not contain a special medication to improve effectiveness and duration as it can affect the heart and blood pressure. You dentist may want to use mepivicaine for this reason. For some people, this additional medication helps with extraction pain but the vast majority of people will have good local anesthesia with this drug.