Eye and Vision Care

Eye Pain, Redness Unresolved

02/18/2010

Question:

I was diagnosed with keratitis and/or corneal ulcer over a year ago. Was given Falcon steroid/abt eye gtts initially which helped. I changed contact brands and solutions as well, but I still have same problem. I used the eye gtts recently and noticed that the pupil of the eye I used it in was dilated and was actually almost "throbbing" because it was dilating and constricting. It stopped after awhile I was wondering if that was harmful and a sign of increased IOP. My eye also was still red and painful afterward. Any advice?

Answer:

Eye redness and pain may be an indication of a number of eye conditions, including contact lens-related complications and/or increased IOP (intraocular pressure). I recommend scheduling an appointment with your eye doctor for evaluation of the symptoms you have been experiencing. Your eye doctor will be able to evaluate your eyes, including a thorough examination of your corneas and a check of your IOP. Best wishes and thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry