Worksite Health

Fiberglass Dust Inhalation

03/17/2010

Question:

About 3 weeks ago I was sealing a leak in the roof of my new home during a rain storm which need me to enter the attic. I was in the attic about an hour and during this time disturbed the fiberglass insulation. I didn`t think anything of it but later that night I has respitory problems (sore throat, mucus, etc.). The symptoms have not gotten any better and at times worse. Should I be concerned or see my physician?

Answer:

I suspect your symptoms are a coincidence. There was minimal exposure to fiberglass insulation, which has not been linked with long-term health effects. Fiberglass insulation can irritate the respiratory tract sometimes causing cough and a scratchy throat. The symptoms should subside and there is very little, if any, risk of chronic disease (like cancer). Even long-term exposures among workers do not seem to be very risky, instead mainly irritating.

Go to the Worksite Health health topic, where you can:

J Mac Crawford, PhD, RN J Mac Crawford, PhD, RN
Clinical Associate Professor of Environmental Health Sciences
College of Public Health