Senior Health

Profuse sweating

02/18/2010

Question:

i ma 77 yrs old ,trying desperatley to find out why i am sweating so profusley.i have spoken to several dr. about this & they dont know .it is so bab the water runs down my face & my hair becomes soaked .it happens at home several times aday ,also when i go out to do shopping it is so embaeassing ,& it really drains me yoir help would be appreciated.i am at my wits end ,i am healthy ,all my blood work is ok,very stong for my age .

Answer:

It sounds like the sweating is in excess and there is a condition called hyperhidrosis, excessive perspiration. There are medical conditions that cause this in some people but you indicate you have not been diagnosed with a condition associated with this condition. Suggest you see your primary health provider for a comprehensive evaluation to rule out health problems that can cause this condition.

If you have already been through a comprehensive evaluation and have been advised that the cause of the condition is unknown, consult your primary provider about available treatments that you may be eligible to try that may reduce the excessive perspiration, including medications (if you are eligible to take the meds) and other interventions (if you are eligible, depending on whether you have any other medical problems you may already be managing).

It is clear from your note that you physically and emotionally  uncomfortable with the profuse sweating you are experiencing. It is understandable that you wish to find a cure. I anticipate you have tried various ways to keep clean and dry, calm (anxiety may cause sweating), relaxed as much as possible. Beyond basic hygiene and relaxation techniques, there are treatments available that are focused on managing this problem. Whether you are a candidate for these treatments needs to be discussed with your primary care provider, knowledgeable about your medical history and general medical health.

Go to the Senior Health health topic, where you can:

Evelyn L Fitzwater, DSN, RN Evelyn L Fitzwater, DSN, RN
Associate Professor Emerita
Associate Director of the