COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

cloudy lungs

03/01/2010

Question:

I had a ct scan on my lungs 6 months ago and it was cloudy but the doctor just though I had an infection. I just had a follow up scan done and it still shows my lungs as cloudy? What does this mean? He is sending me for breathing tests and then a scope biosy? Could I be looking at cancer?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. On this site, we try to answer general questions but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your mother's symptoms and discuss her case specifically. In general, a cloudy appearance on a CT scan is something probably called a ground glass infiltrate. There are several causes of ground glass infiltrates. These include infections and inflammation as the most common. Bleeding in the lung and cancer are two less common causes. A biopsy is often used to determine the cause.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep